Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Home-made

In the past 7-8 months, I've learned to do a lot of things at home. Most of this was because we think soy was giving me digestion issues, and we found out it is in almost everything, from bread to chocolate to salad dressings to peanut butter. So I started learning how to make my own things, without soy. Bread was one of these things, but the other, was mayo.

Home-made mayo is about the easiest thing I've found to make. I use a raw egg yolk, a 1/2 tsp of water, a 1/2 tsp of lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and a cup of canola oil (or whatever oil you'd like to use. I mix the first 4 ingredients, and whisk them together, then gradually, very slowly add the oil a little bit at a time, all the while whisking it by hand until the ingredients emulsify and thicken into a lovely mayo. Then I found you can add garlic powder, and it becomes magical.

I have found that dipping french fries or putting this garlic mayo on sandwiches is extremely habit forming. It is one of the best things I've now found to eat, as long as I don't go too crazy with it.

No comments: