Friday, April 15, 2011

More Raised Beds!

Finally we're back from vacation, and finally the weather is beginning to cooperate, at least for... the past 2 days... tomorrow will be rain again, but at least I took the opportunity to get the raised beds I built a few weeks ago into position, and got the ground cover underneath dug up.

I'm not sure if the pachysandra will come back with a vengeance, sneaking and poking the roots of my tomatoes and asparagus and brussel sprouts, but I'm going to hope that a foot and a half of dirt on top of them will discourage them.  This spot is sheltered and warm and gets all of the afternoon sun, so I'm hoping the tomatoes and things will be happy there.

Here they are!  Next week, if the weather cooperates, I'll anchor them and fill them with a mix of compost and topsoil from our handy mulch people down the road.... well down the road, but down the road.
The garlic I planted last fall is looking amazing.  I'm very tempted to snip some of the greens for the next time we have steak salads... Mmmmm.
And I planted lettuce in this bed yesterday.  Iceburg, buttercrunch, mesculin mix, loose leaf mix, and spinach.  I'm not terribly worried about frost, because even though I'm guessing we'll get a frost, the area of the back yard is very sheltered, and my plants haven't been affected by frost as of yet back there.
I'm really glad I made a "perennial" raised bed last year.  It gives me a nice place to throw things I've thinned to see how they turn out.  I also had extra room this year, so i planted some sunflower seeds and sweet alyssum and snap dragons and tythionia. We'll see if they pop up.
Also, I'm not sure what this is.  It's a perennial that I picked up at a garage sale a couple of years ago, and though I'm sure the lady told me what it was, I can't remember for the life of me.  They're little white flowers, and they're budding pretty strongly, so I'll repost when they bloom and see if I can get any help here.

Anyway, I'm pooped today, going to see if the kiddo will let me have a nap, and maybe tomorrow, or this weekend, I'll move the blue-berry bushes!  The poor things need more sunshine.

No comments: