Thursday, October 7, 2010

The one thing about autumn...

Leaves.  LEAVES LEAVES LEAVES!!!

I do love leaves.  But every October through the end of November, we rake.  We rake and rake and rake and mulch and rake and mow and rake.  I used to mind a lot more when i was 20-30 pounds heavier and would get winded going up a flight of stairs.  Now I can handle raking a yard-full of leaves several times a week for a month or two.  Really.  I mean, leaving them on the lawn isn't an option.  It'll kill the weeds.. er.. grass that make up the front yard.  So I mulch them, I rake them, I put them in the compost pile, I spread them over the raised beds, I stick them in the flower gardens.

But mostly, I rake them, throw them on a tarp, and pull them out into the street for the city to pick up and then mulch for whatever use our city deems fit.


On beautiful days, I really don't mind it, and the kiddo had a blast today.  I need to re-develop my raking callouses, but otherwise, I'm READY!

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the beautiful weather after a week of rain, and enjoy the colors of the leaves...
And I think the kiddo is enjoying the weather too...

No comments: