Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The end of summer... and the beginning of autumn...

It's a melancholy kind of day for me.  I woke up early and watched the sunrise from the front porch.  It was cloudy, but warm, and I just sat.  The air smelled different, felt different on my skin.

I spent the majority of the day cleaning.  In the morning, I cleaned the inside of the house, opened all the windows, turned on the fans, let the sickness of the past few days air out.  In the afternoon, I cleaned out my raised beds.  I left a few tomato plants alone that were in containers out front, but I cleared out the other beds, with the kiddo's help.

I think the changing of the seasons always gets to me a little.  I took a run this evening, trying to clear out the rest of my congestion, letting my toe-shoes hit the fallen leaves, breathing in that unforgettable scent of leaves and decay and wind and dampness that really signifies the change of the season... It's not the calendar... it's the breath of the wind on my skin, the darkness in the morning and evening, the weight of the clouds...

I do love autumn, but it makes me a little sad too.  I'm finishing the evening listening to some music and remembering autumns in the past.  It's been a good day.

No comments: